We have recently added a wonderful new Hair Stylist to the Urban Spa team and, as always, we wanted our guests to get to know her! She is looking forward to meeting you all as you come into the spa! Please join us in welcoming Ness MacKinlay!
“I was born in Toronto and was raised in Belleville, Ontario. After graduating from high school, I moved back to Toronto to go to Humber College to study Fashion Arts. While in Toronto I worked as a fashion stylist at 2B1 inc. until I graduated. I then went on to study Business and then finally made my way to studying Cosmetology and Hairstyling. I have been a hairstylist for the past 8 years and I love it more than anything. I always joke that it was my way of proving that I could be an artist and still make money lol. Luckily all of my education goes very well together and support each other. I am now a mother to 2 monster children, my son is 5 and my daughter is 1. I would say that my favourite part of being a hairstylist is seeing the smile on someone’s face when they finally see their hair, there is nothing quite like that.”
Sidenote from the editor: Ness is being a bit modest here, but I can’t help but mention that she was recently featured on Latest-Hairtyles.com for a beautiful undercut bob (pictured below). Check out her full interview with them here! You can also check out our Ness MacKinlay Facebook photo album for some of her work – she’s really quite talented so be sure to stop in an see her soon!
- Name: Vanessa MacKinlay
- Nicknames: Ness, Nessa, Vee
- Favourite Colour: ORANGE
- Hobbies, What do you like to do if not working: I love reading books, painting, and baking lots of sweet treats
- Fun fact about myself: I am the oldest child of 11 and I have 74 FIRST cousins
- Favourite Movie: Anchorman and Every single Harry Potter Movie
- If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be and why? I would travel to Australia to see the Great Barrier Reef or Hawaii to Hike on the Napali Coast or try surfing for the first time.
- Favourite Urban Spa service to give: Blow out
- Favourite Urban Spa service to receive: I’m not sure yet, I’ll have to try them all
- Favourite book: Harry Potter or the Mortal Instruments
- TV show you can’t live without: Grey’s Anatomy
- If you were stuck on an island, what would be the one thing you’d want with you? SUPERPOWERS…. To get home, or to get myself back to that island when my kids are being grouchy lol!
- Secret Indulgence: Donuts…although it’s no secret lol
- Did you go to school for anything else besides this career – even if you decided to switch to another career option: Fashion and Cosmetics and then Business
- Give 3 items on your Bucket List:
- Do hair at New York Fashion Week
- Travel to as many different countries as possible with my family to teach my children about different cultures, about diversity and about tolerance of other cultures and beliefs
- Surf or Scuba Dive in Hawaii
As a special introductory offer with Ness, we’re offering a FREE CUT with colour service between now and the end of the year!