We have recently added a fantastic new Spa Assistant as well as a wonderful new Guest Reservation Specialist to the Urban Spa team and, as always, we wanted our guests to get to know them! They are looking forward to meeting you all as you come into the spa! Please join us in welcoming Mataya Spellman and Skylar Thomas 🙂
Mataya Spellman: “Spent the early years of my life in Florida but have found myself in Peterborough. Esthetics has always been a strong passion of mine since I was very young. Assisting my family in their salon and spa’s I knew what I was meant to do.
I spent my high school years competing in the Ontario Skills Competitions. I am currently attended Fleming College for Esthetics and loving every second of it. My passion is in nails but doing every service feels like home.”
- Name: Mataya
- Nicknames: Taya
- Favourite Colour: Purple
- Hobbies, what do you like to do if not working: Kayaking, Canoeing, and Paddle boarding (Anything on the water)
- Fun fact about myself: I grew up in Florida
- Favourite Movie: Dear John
- If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be and why? My dream is to go to Saint Lucia
- Favourite Urban Spa service to give (one only): “The Standard” Manicure
- Favourite Urban Spa service to receive (one only): The Urban Spa Pedicure
- Favourite Book: The Girl on the Train
- TV show you can’t live without: Friends
- If you were stuck on an island what would be the one thing you’d want with you: A boat!!!
- Secret Indulgence: I am obsessed with Taco Bell
- Did you go to school for anything else besides this career – even if you decided to switch to another career option: I always knew that esthetics was exactly what I wanted to do!
- Give 3 items on your bucket list:
– Go Sky Diving
– Travel to Saint Lucia
– Get Engaged in front of the Eiffel Tower
Skylar Thomas: “I was born and raised in Peterborough, I actually spent a good chunk of my childhood right down the street here in East City! I love tea, and I am an animal lover, with a soft spot for cats, and quite a few fur babies in my family. My nan affectionately refers to me as the Cat Lady. I am a creative type with a passion for painting, sculpting, knitting, paper mache-ing, well pretty much all the crafty things. I love to create!
I grew up with a lot of artistic freedom, and have always been allowed to express myself through various forms of art expression, including skin art (tattoos and body modifications), and hair art (I’m almost always rockin’ some funky colours.)
I strongly believe in the importance of self love and taking control of your physical and mental health. I also believe that self expression is a very aspect important. I’m excited to join such a wonderful team of like-minded and equally passionate people and to contribute to making every experience here at The Urban Spa a Perceptional Experience.
- Name: Skylar Marie Elizabeth Thomas
- Nicknames: Sky, (or sometimes my Papa calls me Skywalker)
- Favourite Colour: Purple or Teal
- Hobbies, what do you like to do if not working: I like to hangout with my cats. I usually do this while also watching Netflix or doing some sort of craft. Sometimes I even hangout with other people! What I love to do most is create fun things, and I use a variety of media to do so! Sculpting with polymer clay, or painting with acrylics on canvas, or Converse, or some crazy DIY projects I found on Pinterest, the chance to create art is a passion I grew up with.
- Fun fact about myself: I create my own custom jewellery out of clay! I love working with this medium as you’re only really limited in what you can create by your imagination.
- Favourite Movie: Beauty and the Beast has been my all time favourite since I was a child, but I have quite a repertoire of Disney songs in my karaoke playlist. I am crazy about all things Disney, but I can also get pretty pumped up for a good horror film.
- If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be and why? Easy one, I would travel to England. My Great Grandma was from England and I have heard her stories all my life. I would love to be able to explore those far
off places I’ve heard so much about.
- Favourite Urban Spa service to give (one only): TBD
- Favourite Urban Spa service to receive (one only): TBD
- Favourite Book: Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald is an incredible book by a Canadian Author. I also highly recommend another Canadian Author, Kelley Armstrong, who has an outstanding series called Women of the Otherworld.
- TV show you can’t live without: X-Files
- If you were stuck on an island what would be the one thing you’d want with you: Now, this here is a loaded question and if I had all day to talk about all the different variables, we might be able to get close to a proper answer here. I’m going to go out and assume a total Lost situation, and I’d probably really like to have books to read.
- Secret Indulgence: I am a sucker for any salty snacks. Especially chips. Or french fries. Mmmmmmm. French fries.
- Did you go to school for anything else besides this career – even if you decided to switch to another career option: As any indecisive teen, I struggled to decide what to go to school for. I almost went to school for Nursing, and I went for 2 years (out of 3) of Business Administration Accounting before I realized that it wasn’t for me either. We will see what my future holds here at the spa as far as what learning accomplishment I will achieve next!
- Give 3 items on your bucket list:
– Own a home with a giant bath tub. I love soaking in a nice hot bath with some fizzies and/or bubbles
– Build an elaborate and cool cat tree for my fur babies
– go scuba diving with giant sea turtles